Robotics Apprenticeship Project Overview
This robotics technician apprenticeship program is intended to provide a pipeline of certified robotics technicians for small and medium sized manufacturers. The results from this project will include a report on SMMs needs with the resulting curriculum addressing those needs. Additionally, the program will enhance existing robotics training resources, provide in-class training, offer lab/experiential, and secure industry-led training for participants at manufacturing job sites.
Objective of the Robotics Technician Apprenticeship Project
Provide a robotics apprenticeship pathway for participants to become certified robotics technicians. The project outputs included:
- A report on SMMs needs assessment, competencies, and skill set requirements.
Robotics Technician Apprenticeship Framework for training in response to these needs and gaps. This includes a course list, institution/instructor list, recommendations on future trainings, and suggestions for web, classroom or hands-on delivery.
- Articulation Agreement which can be used as an example when customizing the program.
- A Training Guidance documents showcasing other providers who may provide training.
- Supporting documentation to register the robotics apprenticeship via the Department of Labor’s Apprenticeship website and the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry. This includes the list of on-the-job competencies to be completed in the program, work process outline with specific hours associated and the outline of related technical instruction.
- Robotics Technician Apprenticeship Toolkit created and containing information related to marketing example for the program, methodology behind creation of the program, outlines for related technical training and on-the-job training, potential resources for the program and benefits of an apprenticeship program.
Outputs from this project were leveraged by New Century Careers to create new, two-year Registered Robotics Technician Apprenticeship Program.
Participants in the Robotics Apprenticeship Project
Catalyst Connection (Principal Investigator), New Century Careers, Community College of Allegheny County, Tooling-U
This program is offered by New Century Careers in Pittsburgh, PA. Apply or learn more here.
What are the job prospects for Robotics Technicians?
- The job prospects for Robotics Technicians are very good. The demand for Robotics Technicians is expected to grow significantly in the coming years. Robotics Technicians are in high demand in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, healthcare, and logistics.
What is the Robotics Technician Apprenticeship Program?
- The Robotics Technician Apprenticeship Program is a two-year program that provides students with the skills and knowledge necessary to become a Robotics Technician. The program combines classroom instruction with on-the-job training, and students will earn a nationally recognized certificate upon completion.
Who is eligible for the Robotics Apprenticeship Program?
- The Robotics Apprenticeship Program is open to anyone with a high school diploma or equivalent. No prior experience in robotics is required.