This apprenticeship program is intended to provide a pipeline of certified robotics technicians for small and medium sized manufacturers. The results from this project will include a report on SMMs needs with the resulting curriculum addressing those needs. Additionally, the program will enhance existing training resources, provide in-class training, offer lab/experiential, and secure industry-led training for participants at manufacturing job sites.
Provide an apprenticeship pathway for participants to become certified robotics technicians. The project outputs included:
- A report on SMMs needs assessment, competencies, and skill set requirements.
Robotics Technician Apprenticeship Framework for training in response to these needs and gaps. This includes a course list, institution/instructor list, recommendations on future trainings, and suggestions for web, classroom or hands-on delivery.
- Articulation Agreement which can be used as an example when customizing the program.
- A Training Guidance documents showcasing other providers who may provide training.
- Supporting documentation to register the apprenticeship via the Department of Labor’s Apprenticeship website and the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry. This includes the list of on-the-job competencies to be completed in the program, work process outline with specific hours associated and the outline of related technical instruction.
- Robotics Technician Apprenticeship Toolkit created and containing information related to marketing example for the program, methodology behind creation of the program, outlines for related technical training and on-the-job training, potential resources for the program and benefits of an apprenticeship program.
Outputs from this project were leveraged by New Century Careers to create new, two-year Registered Robotics Technician Apprenticeship Program.
Catalyst Connection (Principal Investigator), New Century Careers, Community College of Allegheny County, Tooling-U